Re: Backup

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:01:02 -0700

Loinex wrote:

> I have been asigned for a server maintenance, with Oracle 8 installed...
>
> I know that for making backup I need to do a sort of bat file that stops
> Oracle, copy relevant files to another location and restart Oracle...
>
> What are the commands ?
>
> TIA
With apologies ... I find your request offensive. If you aren't qualified for the job you shouldn't be doing it.
Would you have accepted a job as a dentist with no knowledge of dentistry? I, and others could give you
the commands ... heck we could give you the working file ... but what we can't give you is the knowledge
required to get it all working properly and assure your employer that their data is safe.

My suggestions would be as follows:

1. Hire a consultant to train you
2. Take a class and learn how to perform your job
3. Read books

Until then I can leave you with one, and only one, other bit of advice .... ReadTheFineManual.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu