Re: stored procedure signature?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2003 07:03:10 -0700

chess hazlett <puneyrf_f_unmyrgg_at_enlgurba.pbz> wrote in message news:<Xns93B369E5E223Fpuneyrffunmyrggenlgu_at_138.126.254.210>...
> Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in
>
> > Chess, in SQLPLus, you can also just describe a procedure to see the
> > argument list:
> >
> > UT1> desc trace_sql
>
> Actually, that was the first thing I tried. I received an "object does not
> exist" error.
>
> Anyway, it's good to know that desc is at least *supposed* to work... :)
>
> Thanks, Mark!

Chess, the all_arguments view was added with 7.2. The ability to describe a procedure came later, but I do not remember if it was with 7.3 or 8.0. You definitely should be able to describe a procedure with 8+.

If you getting errors attempting to describe procedure after 8.0, and assuming the user ID your are using has execute privilege on the procedure, then it is possible that the ID you are using has no private synonym to the object and that no public synonym to the object exists. You should be able to describe the procedure using desc owner.procedure_name in this case.