Re: Tablespace-Datafiles unused space ?

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:41:49 -0500

"Stefan Leidinger" <stefan.leidinger_at_aon.at> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a problem with the datafiles of an Oracle-tablespace:
>
>There are three datafiles, if I want to create an index with 200MB
>it will be created in the 3rd datafile. I think the 1st datafile is very
>fragmented ...
>
>How can I compress or defragment the datafiles? (V 8.1.7)
>
>Example: www.schwarzmueller.com/tablespace.jpg
>
>Every answer is welcome,
>
>Greetings from Austria
>
>Stefan

Why not create a separate tablespace and data file ( or files) just for indexes..That way you can optimize its storage parameters for index use..

Also, in v8i and above, fragmentation has been shown to be of little or no consequence in the operation or performance of the database. ( a Google search will find you many articles on this ).. Received on Tue Jul 08 2003 - 08:41:49 CDT