Re: Why is it so hard to find?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2003 06:16:21 -0700

"Bob Woodward" <bobw56.at.rkwco.com> wrote in message news:<vgk94um3db8u7d_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> Why is it so hard to find out how to get a simple list of what fricken files
> there are? Okay, so I'm an Oracle moron but I've got plenty of programming
> experience. Is there anyplace that has a straight forward "cheat sheet"
> kind of listing of simple, "get you started" kind of commands? Maybe a
> super condensed "For the neanderthal" Dummy's guide online? I've figured
> out how to install 8i on Solaris but now I'm scratching my head going NOW
> what?
>
> And PLEASE don't say RTFM. I've RTFM and am STILL confused of where to go
> next.

Bob, check out the following two articles which describe the Oracle rdbms dictionary. It contains information about all objects and users defined to the Oracle system:

How do I find information about a database object: table, index, constraint, view, etc… in Oracle ?
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/object_info.html

How do I find out which users have the rights, or privileges, to access a given object ?
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/privileges.html

There are many other interesting, useful articles hosted on Jonathan's site under what he has called the cooperative FAQ.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Jul 08 2003 - 08:16:21 CDT