Re: Why is it so hard to find?

From: Bob Woodward <bobw56.at.rkwco.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 01:43:11 -0700

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3F0A2FFC.60774C3C_at_telusplanet.net...
> Bob Woodward wrote:
>
> > Why is it so hard to find out how to get a simple list of what fricken
files
> > there are? Okay, so I'm an Oracle moron but I've got plenty of
programming
> > experience. Is there anyplace that has a straight forward "cheat sheet"
> > kind of listing of simple, "get you started" kind of commands? Maybe a
> > super condensed "For the neanderthal" Dummy's guide online? I've
figured
> > out how to install 8i on Solaris but now I'm scratching my head going
NOW
> > what?
> >
> > And PLEASE don't say RTFM. I've RTFM and am STILL confused of where to
go
> > next.
>
> The 'manual' is over 50,000 pages long. I find it hard to believe that
you've
> read it. So ........
>
> Please tell us which manual(s) you have read. And possibly - what are you
> trying to accomplish? (Even if it's Oracle 101 - we need to know if we
are to
> give you some hints.)

True, I've not read the whole manual. I've tried looking at the index, the TOC, quick browse of "Getting Started" and tons of Google searches. My first sentence is what I'm trying to do to start with. Figure out what files there are. I understand the SELECT, DESC, and a few other of the commands, but I'm feeling inadequate by not being able to visualize "the system." I can follow the tutorial commands that say "type this and you'll get that" but I need to be able to explore beyond the canned commands.

As to what I'm trying to accomplish, I'm just trying to figure out what Oracle is all about. I've programmed many years in a relational database environment and always looked at Oracle with a bit of puzzlement. Figured it was time to step to the other side of the fence and expand my knowledge.

As far as books, I've got "Oracle - A beginners guide" from Oracle Press, a generic Learn SQL book and a number of web sites I've found. Received on Tue Jul 08 2003 - 03:43:11 CDT