"View" to a large schema

From: Hypermommy <hypermommy_at_comcast.net>
Date: 7 Jul 2003 08:57:58 -0700

Hi all,

You'll have to forgive me if I don't use the right terms. I am nowhere near an Oracle programmer and don't know the proper termanology. But I hope you'll bear with me....

Something I'm working on accesses an Oracle database we have at the office. Now this database has hundreds tables in one area (schema?) and we can't change that. However, the program that's accessing it
(which is an ASP thing) is timing out. And I suspect it's due to the
number of tables and such that is there becuase it works fine with smaller databases.

So, now, my issue is... what can we do in Oracle, without splitting up this schema, to pull over references to just a few tables at a time. For instance, if we have 10 tables that deal with podiatrists and that's all we want to look at is podiatrists and not all of the pediatricians and so forth, is there some way -- without moving the tables themselves -- to set up a view just to the podiatrist type information? Then I could set up an ODBC connection to that view
(whatever it is or however it's done) and see just podiatrist
information without the system trying to slog through all the doctors?

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you can give me.

--== Hyper ==-- Received on Mon Jul 07 2003 - 10:57:58 CDT