ORA-01033: Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress

From: Robert Wehofer <thalion77_at_graffiti.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:28:58 GMT

Hi there!

I'm not able anymore to log in into my local Oracle database (Oracle Version 8.1). I always get the error message: "ORA-01033: Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress".

I have found following way to restart my database:

  1. Open a Command window by clicking on Start -> Run -> cmd
  2. Go to your Oracle bin directory: CD C:\ORANT\BIN
  3. Run the Server Manager utility: SVRMGRL or SVRMGRL23
  4. Type in CONNECT INTERNAL to connect to the database
  5. Type in SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE to shut it down
  6. If 5) does not work, try again but with SHUTDOWN ABORT
  7. Once database is shut down, type in STARTUP

But this won't help! I still cannot log in. What should I do?

Regards,
Robert Received on Fri Jul 04 2003 - 08:28:58 CDT