Re: Just need a small hint re: mirroring tables

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:29:58 +0100

"Paul Murphy" <pmurphy_at_scsinet.com> wrote in message news:rI0Na.43631$8B.24870_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >Anurag Varma wrote:
> > Your code is a DBA's worst nightmare. I will never recommend or accept
this
> > as a
> > solution!
>
> First, let me thank you and everyone else for the very good advice.
> Luckily, I convinced everyone to wait until next week to impliment
> something. Now I have time to thoroughly read about all the topics I've
> been asking the group about. It's quite a learning curve going from web
> programming against MySQL and Access to trying to do things the right
> way in Oracle. I passed the 9i SQL exam no problem and conceptually I
> have a grasp of an RDBMS, but I have very little real world experience
> with the specifics of running one securely and efficiently enough for a
> production system. There's a heck of a lot more to consider than knowing
> SQL and I know I have a lot to learn. Hopefully this thread will be a
> good teaching tool to any newcomers that are lurking. Sometimes doing
> things wrong and struggling to get it right is the best way to learn
> your lessons. Thanks again, Paul

This is an *excellent* attitude to have. Good software management is about much more than technical skills.

I have to say though that I am surprised to say the least that at least 1 3rd party would countenance real time triggered updates to their tables from another third party's application, at least not without increasing the charge for support. I'd strongly suggest that the real time mirroring requirement is dropped and you consider defining one DB to be the master and performing a scheduled batch update process of the slave tables from the master.

You mention that you are worried about security and efficiency and because of the use of tables in a way that application designers did not anticipate and the potential locking overhead of the triggers you may well find that this solution fails both of those tests.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA