Re: ORA-01033: Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:41:44 +0200

Robert Wehofer wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm not able anymore to log in into my local Oracle database (Oracle
> Version
> 8.1). I always get the error message: "ORA-01033: Oracle
> initialization or shutdown in progress".
>
> I have found following way to restart my database:
>
> 1) Open a Command window by clicking on Start -> Run -> cmd
> 2) Go to your Oracle bin directory: CD C:\ORANT\BIN
> 3) Run the Server Manager utility: SVRMGRL or SVRMGRL23
> 4) Type in CONNECT INTERNAL to connect to the database
> 5) Type in SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE to shut it down
> 6) If 5) does not work, try again but with SHUTDOWN ABORT
> 7) Once database is shut down, type in STARTUP
Can you log on to your workstation and start an xload and a top? If xload shows load and top does not then maybe you just overtaxed your db a bit (like I do when performing some performance tests) and oracle just needs the time to recover from it. This typically means lots of disk i/o.
Nothing but waiting.
Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
While it is a known fact that programmers
never make mistakes, it is still a good idea