Re: Just need a small hint re: mirroring tables

From: Anurag Varma <avarmadba.skipthis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:11:57 GMT

"Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:MPG.196cae13ccf15d619897e3_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net... ---snip---
> Yes, triggers like this are an acceptable way. At one company where I
> worked, we used this technique to sync several "data marts" on different
> servers.
>
> Sigh. If you had 9i, I could recommend Oracle Streams. Quoting from the
> 9i New Features manual:
>
> "Oracle Streams enables the propagation of data, transactions and events
> in a data stream, either within a database or from one database to
> another. The stream routes published information to subscribed
> destinations. This provides the functionality and flexibility to capture
> and to manage events and then to share those events with other databases
> and applications..."
>
> Since it apparently uses Advanced Queueing, perhaps you can implement
> something similar in 8i. Or it might be a good time to push for an
> upgrade to 9i. :)
> --
> [:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]

Using Oracle Streams to sync tables in the same database but different schemas would be an overkill
according to me. Its a relatively new technology and not that easy to set up. Oracle uses Streams
for its logical standby databases. Its quite similar to the MM replication in terms of what it does.
I would still agree with Daniel's and Sybrand's suggestions of using synonyms.

Also, I'm not sure if Oracle Streams would work at all for his case.

In the end it all depends on how synced up these tables need to be. If they need to be exactly
in sync at a certain point of time then synonyms are the way to go. If OP can afford to sync them up
at the end of the day then any crude method would do.

my 2 cents.
Anurag Received on Wed Jul 02 2003 - 12:11:57 CDT