Re: Advantages/disadvantages of having tables within 'SYSTEM' TS

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:50:38 +0200

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 15:49:19 +0800, "Vinu Neelakandhan" <vinu_neelakandhan_at_hp.com> wrote:

>Hello all :
>
>Can someone tell me the disadvantages (or advantages, if any) of creating
>user tables within the default SYSTEM tablespace?
>
>I understand that it is ideal to have user's own tablespaces (rather than
>creating within SYSTEM, where the DD etc are being kept), but would like to
>know the actual disadvantages of doing within SYSTEM. Does it impact the
>performance? Or, does it impact anything else?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Vinu

Actually a little common sense would provide the answer. You are going to have competing for resources in the SYSTEM tablespace.
The free space in your SYSTEM tablespace is going to be heavily fragmented.
One day one of your datadictionary tables can't grow anymore because there is insufficient contiguous free space. Locating user objects in the SYSTEM tablespace should be only recommended to
- people who just LOVE to work in HELL
- badly desire to be laid off and change jobs.

In short : DON'T DO IT, don't try to be 'SMART' (read stupid) and don't try to IGNORE Oracle advises clearly AGAINST it.

you don't even WANT to CONSIDER it.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jul 01 2003 - 12:50:38 CDT