Re: Oracle Takeover Bid of PeopleSoft Falls Through

From: Greg Forestieri <gforestieri9_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Jun 2003 05:19:39 -0700

karthik <anon_at_anon.com> wrote in message news:<bdln6h$7hk$1_at_mozo.cc.purdue.edu>...

> Front end logic (like in VB, Oracle Forms and Centura) is much more
> easier to maintain. Its suboptimal as its slower. But where performance
> is not an issue, one is better of putting the logic in the front end
> if we are connecting to 3-4 databases.

I disagree.

  1. Oracle Apps had *more* foreign keys 6 years ago. They were pulled out to "*improve performance*". The enforcement of the rules that were pulled is now done in the forms. It's faster - but at a price of less back end integrity and knowing that every time Mr. User plugs into his DB he can throw the DBAs into a fit by invalidating the data with the click of a mouse.
  2. It's *much* easier to enforce these rules in the database. That's a large part of the reason we use relational DBs instead of using nekkid b+tree or ISAM data systems.

I agree that if you are going to connect to 3 or 4 different relation DB vendors you are better off with a separate enforcement mechanism. But being able to connect to all those DBs disables the part of the DB that is at times most useful. That which helps keep it healthy and correct.

Greg

This is the reason I cringe when I hear about apps people trying to make their apps DB-neutral. It's not technically feasible, at least not safely. Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 07:19:39 CDT