Re: Oracle Takeover Bid of PeopleSoft Falls Through

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:56:00 -0700

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "karthik" <anon_at_anon.com> wrote in message
> > That, i would blame it on the guy who does and not on the ERP vendor.
>
> That would be your customer. You know the person who owns the data and is
> paying the ERP company big bucks for one view of it. Placing RI only in the
> app in my view is purely done to make it easier for the software vendor and
> harder for the people whose businesses this stuff is supposed to make easier
> to run.
>
> > From experience, even having stored procedures/triggers must be avoided
> > as much as possible if performance is not an issue (as in several master
> > data screens). Imagine having to change 4-5 stored procedure programs
> > and having to test them for each database for every line of changed code.!
>
> Imagine having to test each changed line of code against every platform you
> support, my god you might slow the release cycle down and produce quality
> product. One could go further and test against customers data as well.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> Please include version and platform
> and SQL where applicable
> It makes life easier and increases the
> likelihood of a good answer

Come on Niall ... which side are you on? Purchaser or Seller?

For what they charge for these things they should send our kids to college.

There is nothing stopping these vendors from doing a better job other than a desire to maximize profits.

Were I in their shoes I might do it too. But I am not and I think the buyers should not so willingly accept
such poor products based on the claim that making them better would take work. I don't see Larry
damaging the functionality of the database because having processes on Windows and threads on UNIX
takes more work. As I see it the argument is the same. Larry sells on multiple platforms, they sell on
multiple back-end RDBMS's. Let 'em write it correctly and test their bleedin' hearts out.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu