Re: price of an application

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:16:48 GMT

nospam_at_spam.be said...
> Hey,
>
> I'm last year student Informatics at an university. My project for my
> graduation consist of building an Oracle database and making a Java client
> and a website for this database. I've build this with Oracle JDeveloper9i.
> So I made a bussiness layer, jsp pages for the website and java classes for
> the java client. Because the university has licenses for all Oracle products
> I was never concerned about the price. Now I was just curious what this
> would cost if I want to make something like that with this software? For
> example a little online shop or a stock managing system for a little
> company. Is this payable for little companies or do I have to look for
> cheaper systems??
>
> Thanx in advance,
>
> Lieven

I assume you'd be selling ONLY your application, not an Oracle license as part of the package (the latter would be expensive). In other words, you should expect to sell only to customers who already have Oracle installed (some are small companies). If that's the case, then you just have to price your app competitively.

If you design your "database layer" correctly, you'd just have to provide plug-ins for whichever backend database the customer has.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA