Re: DBA FIGHT

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:16:47 GMT

It seems to me that you are the best one to answer these questions...

> These queries are equivalents?

Do they return the same data? Have you run both queries and compared the results? You'll find that they are not the same queries in that the second query returns columns from both tables while the first query returns columns from only table1.

> Same results?

Again, you'll have to run these queries against your data to decide if they give you the same results.

> Same performance?

Chances are that two queries will not perform the same. But you are the only one that can answer this question as the performance is determined by a combination of the query execution plan, the data composition, and the database configuration. How these queries perform on my system can greatly differ from how they perform on your system. So in SQL*Plus, issue SET TIMING ON and run the two queries. Or better yet, trace the execution of these queries and look at the results through TKPROF.

These are questions that only you can answer. Anything else is just a guess and cannot be definitive.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com