Re: Index usage question

From: MThomas <markt_at_wrx-ca.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:52:02 -0600

Good morning.

Thank you Jim, Daniel and Brian for you help sorting myself out.

I have been able to get Oracle to rely on the index I require. A secondary index on the table also seemed to be interferring with Oracle's selection of the best way to select. After removing the extraneous index and resetting the statistics, the performance seems to have come back into line (we now seem to be bound through the network, but that's another project.

Have a good day all,

Mark.

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:uuPJa.4061$Bg.1831_at_rwcrnsc54...
> Mark,
> Don't rely on the implicit string to date conversion. Explicitly convert
> it.
> eg
>
> AND reportdatentime >= '25-Mar-2003'
> AND reportdatentime < '21-Jun-2003'
> should be:
> AND reportdatentime >= to_date('25-Mar-2003','dd-mmm-yyyy')
> AND reportdatentime < to_date('21-Jun-2003','dd-mmm-yyyy')
>
> If someone changes the nls date format default on the client the query
won't
> work. This method is much safer.
> Jim
>

> --
> Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
> with family. Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign. You can
figure
> it out.
> "MThomas" <markt_at_wrx-ca.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Daniel:
> >
> > Thanks for responding.
> >
> > I have brought the stats up to date as of this morning (It was a couple
of
> > days old).
> >
> > I seem to get two different plan results depending on whether I use the
> SQL
> > Scratchpad or SQL*Plus. SQL*Plus claims it is using the correct index
> while
> > the scrathpad claims a full scan (I'm not sure which is correct, though
> > suspect the SQL*Plus may be as I am drawing the information from the
> > plan_table directly) Have you seen this type of behaviour before?
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mark.
> >

> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> > is
> table
use