table disk usage?

From: Bob - Andover, MA <tsreyb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2003 22:30:32 -0700

My company uses oracle9i (solaris). unfortunately we've lost most of our oracle expertise to layoffs. We're training someone to pick up the slack, but it is slow going. In the meantime, we continually run into problems filling up the disk partition containing the oracle database files - but nobody knows how to determine which users and which tables are consuming the space, nor how to reclaim that space.

I'm wondering if there are any quick and dirty stop-gap hints anybody can suggest. Ideally, we'd like to be able to perform the following tasks:

 o discover names of all tables in the oracle database files  o monitor table space usage for all the discovered table names  o drop one or more tables
 o reclaim any space from dropped tables for new table growth  o Resize disk space allocations for each table  o perform these tasks using sqlplus command line

Part of the problem is, I just don't understand how the handful of users connecting to this db server can consume its 18g of disk space in just a matter of weeks. We have one application that does produce a lot of data, but supposedly none of us are running that app. So part skill we need is to be able to discover which tables are causing all the problems.

I realize oracle admin is a monumental task .. but if we just had a few commands to hold us over until the expertise is acheived in house, we'd breathe a lot easier!

thanks,
-tsreyb Received on Mon Jun 23 2003 - 00:30:32 CDT