Re: I have a couple of questions

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:17:45 GMT

Welcome to Oracle. Since you spent the past several years learning SQL Server, you are in for an interesting few months.

Other than similarities in DML, you will find the two systems do not resemble each other very much. In some cases you can expect to stumble over similar terms which have completely different meanings. Some examples: 'schema' in Oracle is roughly what most other rdbms's call 'database'. An Oracle database is something much larger (and can carry literally hundreds of schemas) - you could almost think of it as a virtual disk array, tablespaces being roughly equivalent to virtual disks.

Your first stop should be with Oracle's TechNet at http://otn.oracle.com, and specifically into the Prodcuts section (for white papers and other glossy stuff that really does give an idea of the concepts) and into the Documentation section where you will find ALL the Oracle documentation that is supplied on the product doc CDs.

When you get to the Documentation site (also available through http://docs.oracle.com and http://tahiti.oracle.com) you really need to start with the Concepts manual. This provides a 5,000 foot overview of the system's internals and discusses most of the questions you ask.

Oracle's online documentation is comprehensive, also massive and initimidating for new users. Because of that, I personally recommend starting light with a book called "Oracle Essentials: Oracle9i, Oracle8i & Oracle8 " (see http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials2 for details). I find this a quick assist in explaining the new and different concepts, one level higher than the Concepts manual.

After that, you should be equipped to go after the manuals as well as the many excellent books that go into the areas that might interest you. When you're there, ask & we'll likely flood you with recommendations & comments.

A few pointers directly related to your email - the stuff in [] references the commands in the SQL Reference manual ...

HTH
/Hans Received on Sun Jun 22 2003 - 16:17:45 CDT