Re: A few questions about Oracle9iAS

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:54:35 GMT

Terry Chan wrote:

> Besides, I found from the Oracle9iAS doc, it says,
> "Oracle recommends installing Oracle9iAS Infrastructure on a separate
> computer for optimal performance."
> I want to ask whether it is ok for me to install all on the same computer.

While you *could* install everythging on one computer, you probably need to look at the larger picture, what load each component gives, and finally what is your ultimate availablility and load balance strategy. Following is a discourse on one way to look at the logical layout and possibly the physical layout if the load for each component is identified.

Bottom line - putting all on one computer means you will not be able to tune the computer appropriately for either the RDBMS or App Server load. Since this will not be optimally tuned for anything, you will likely end up quickly growing the box & adding CPUs - after 3-4 CPUs you are probably not getting optimum license efficiency.

  1. The Infrastructure is installed exactly once for all 9iAS "Application Services" and for any number of Application Servers. This provides a consistent repository for all metadata, LDAP/OiD, security, etc. internal to the services. (If I read between the lines of the roadmap correctly, in the future this might become the backbone for the Advanced/Enterprise Security as well.)

Since the Infrastructure involves the database and will potentially require a lot of brief security, identity, authentication and authorization pings, it will put an RDBMS load on the server and would do well with a high bandwidth and appropriate SGA & cache. In general I would not expect it to be CPU bound.

2) 9iAS "Application Services" can be multiple tiers in itself. Each of the following can be on a common server or on separate servers. If the load increases and these have been placed on separate servers, adding more small servers to handle the increased load is relatively easy.

The set of tiers can include any of::

Web Tier
- Wireless and/or

Business Interface Tier
- Portal Services

Business Logic Tier
- Forms services

Integration Tier
- 9iAS Integration

Applications Support Tier
- Personalization,

However all of these are very CPU intensive but probably relatively light on disk usage and potentially light on memory (compared to client-server mode) if they can leverage shared objects. Increase in load probably means you'l need to add CPU.

This set demands a very different tuning technique than the database/infrastructure.

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Jun 20 2003 - 15:54:35 CDT