Re: A few questions about Oracle9iAS

From: Mark Rittman <markrittman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:18:42 +0100

Hi Terry

We've successfully installed both elements of 9ias 9.0.2.0.1 on Windows 2000 servers with 1GB of RAM and 2Ghz+ processors. Ideally you want to have at least 2GB of RAM, this should be ok for test purposes.

If you can, you should really put the infrastructure on one server and the middleware on another. Be aware though that you're going to double-up on the number of per-processor licenses by going down this route; i.e. if you originally budgeted for both parts being on one box and buying a two processor license, then you decide to split it on to two boxes, you're going to need 2 x 2 processor licenses.

Given this scenario, one thing we've been looking at is, if you've got a budget for say four processors, is it better to keep all elements on one machine and spend the four processor license on this, or should you split the four processor license over two boxes and have each box handle one element using two processors. We haven't got an answer yet but we're leaning towards splitting the elements over two boxes regardless.

As well as all this, the major factor we've found with 9ias is the amount of RAM you've got. You've really got to have around 4GB of RAM per processor on each box to get the best out of 9iasr2. Anything less than in production causes excessive page swapping and makes the system unusable with lots of users.

hope this helps

Mark
mark_at_rittman.org
www.rittman.org