Re: Check constraint violated

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:50:34 GMT

Billy Verreynne wrote:
> Ed Prochak wrote:

>>>Enforcing business rules in client software IS *STUPID*. Period.
>>
>>I did suggest that since he ALREADY had coded the rule in his front end,
>>that he might leave it there for now.

> Ah.. but you should have insulted his choice in architecture in the same
> breath. As you did not, he likely thinks he made the right decision. :-)

Yes, maybe I should have been meaner. 8^)

>>Not the greatest choice, but the
>>code already exists. He can add rules enforcement to the DB later and
>>eventually remove this check in the front end.

> In my experience, that type of thing _never_ happens. Reason. It works. Kind
> of. So never mind how inflexible and problematic it is.. it works so it
> stays as is. I have first hand experience of this. And loads of it. And
> then the DBA or developer doing the maintanence sit with The Problem..
> because some dork has no idea on how to *correctly* use client-server
> architecture.

Well it sometimes makes more work for the good guys (ie those who know how to do it right). If you are a good guy that gets paid by the hour, you win. 8^)

>>>I sometimes wonder if there are only a few of us here that actually work
>>>in the friggen REAL WORLD.
>>>
>>>Or else you guys must be smoking something. If so.. please pass some
>>>along my way.
>>
>>Chill out.

> Only if you pass whatever your smoking/drinking.

Well, I'll send over a little from a gift my son got me for Father's day: Everclear (190PROOF)
Just don't open the sample near a flame!

> Or are you telling me that dealing with crap like this in the real world on
> mission critical systems are fine? That having to work till the wee hours
> of the morn because of crap designs and development, is fine? (how many of
> these have you pulled recently Ed?)

Actually I may be doing something like that soon (cleaning up some poor designs). Whether wee hours will be involved is yet to be seen. I came across exactly this problem with front end code in my current job. If I'm part of the original developers, I fight to keep such crap out. If I'm a maintainer (as I am currently), I'll fight to get rid of it. I agree, when possible, it's better to do it right than to keep patching a poor design.

> Sorry, but I can not let go of the old and trusted lead pipe when I run into
> people who still insist on coding and designing crap. Or when people ignore
> this crap and pretend that is fine designing and developing that way.
>
> <humming>
> I have a lead pipe
> and I'm okay
> I like beating crap
> outta dorks everyday..
>
> (chorus anyone?)
>
> --
> Billy

doesn't it go like:

I work all night and I sleep all day
I wear women's clothing < mumble words I for got >   and walk around in bars
8^)

wait, that anothe verse.

Funniest argument I've had in years. Thanks Billy.

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/