Re: { oracle 7 } pb with the return of stored function

From: andrewst <member14183_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:28:32 +0000

Originally posted by @Rennes
> ah ok, are there a solution for escap this behavior ?
>

> "Sybrand Bakker" a écrit dans le message de
> news: 4t71fvs9snj73fto0hhjo0ac5bov1f4s4e_at_4ax.com...
> > On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:04:54 +0200, "@rennes"
> > wrote:
> > >my function return a varchar2(40)
> > >but in the view, the field are casting in varchar2(2000)
> without i ask
> that.
> > >
> > Yes, that is what I said. Please *read*. It is a 'feature' not a
> 'bug'
> > and this behavior is documented.
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Yes, like I told you:

"In the view you could select SUBSTR(thefunction(...),1,20). Then the view column will be VARCHAR2(20) "

But you then said:

"yes, i can, but i search the explication of this problem"

So what sort of solution are you looking for? Maybe a system parameter _RESTRICT_FUNCTION_RETURN_VALUE_LENGTH? There isn't one!