Re: Check constraint violated

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:28:53 +0000

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Apparently you are surrounded by Saints.

No. Which is why I foam at the mouth so easily.

> Tables without primary keys: happens regularly
> Foreign keys: please explain me what they are, never heard of it.

Well.. how about a 7 column primary (with nulls and PK columns that change)? Then going and indexing those 7 columns in various pairs and orders over again. 5 times. Something like index1(col1,col2) and index2(col2,col1).

> We can't influence the SQL, or development environment is generating it.

Yeah.. and that is utterly frustrating.

> Or some dork by means of a tool on a website managed to delete half of the
> database (only 1 schema in that database, tools connects as the owner of
> the schema)

Hehehe.. well, how about the production schema who owns all production tables and has been giving DBA privs? (before my time btw). And then have _everyone_ know the schema password as it has been hardcoded into certain batch Pro*C programs and can not be changed.

> Who do you think had to repair that? The customer?

We only have to look in the mirror to see that poor sucker.

> Or some other dork that pulled the plug of the system *before* the UPS,
> just when the server was shutting down. Any idea what happened?

Don't spare me Sybrand.. I can take it...

> You are in paradise and you shouldn't complain.

Yeah maybe.. The grass always look greener on the other side.

What really bugs me (and which is why I ranted at Ed), is that having Oracle skills in development process is critical. Yet, the norm is still to treat the database as a black box. Throw tables into it. Stir vigorously and serve.

The tables in the mix are not normalised. There is no physical db design. They never heard of an IOT, bitmap index or any of the other tools in the toolbox. But then when all problems are decreed to be nails, you only need The Hammer from the toolbox. <sigh>

--
Billy