Re: Help with query...

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:51:55 -0700

Me wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:08:42 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> >"Joe Smith" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> "Abhijith" <abhijith.kashyap_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I'm getting fed up of this kind of answers... Sorry if it seems so easy
> >for
> >> you. If you want to help, thanks, it's enough with the answer. What do you
> >> get by 'qualifying' the level of my question? As I said, I'm not a
> >student.
> >> Right, it's up to you to believe or not.
> >>
> >> Are you the one who rules the kind of questions that can or can't be asked
> >> here?
> >>

> >Sure there are. If you give the impression a) you didn't do *anything
> >yourself* to resolve your issue
> >and b) the question is basic and sometimes c) the answer can be easily
> >looked up with a little bit of effort
> >or d) you give the impression you are asking others to do your work for you
> >in their own spare free time
> >you may expect someone calling 'homework alert'
>
> Are you the moderator for this group?

The group has no (official) moderator. But it does operate with an understanding in the same way that one might say that if you go to a cocktail party there is no moderator ... but there certainly are expectations as to behavior ... violate them and don't expect anyone to smile ... or invite you back.

Those that haven't learned to take things lightly ... and with a smile ... generally find somewhere else to go.

So yes the collective 'we' doesn't do people's homework for them and frowns upon helping those that don't give evidence of having tried to help themselves first.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu