Re: Check constraint violated

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:39:59 GMT

Billy Verreynne wrote:
> Ed Prochak wrote:
>

>>Well, your requirement doen't sound like a check constraint, but a higher
>>level business rule. You need to enforce it in the application layer.
>>Constraints cannot solve ALL these problems, and you don't want to be
>>changing the DB each time a rule like this changes.

> *NO!!!*
>
> What is easier?
>
> Changing the db layer? I.e. changing a PL/SQL stored proc, or a constraint
> or creating a view?
>
> Or change the front-end client? Then change the Corba C IDL on the client?
> Then change the Corba code?

Where did I say front end client? Application layer really isn't the right term, but my point was his rule could not be done in a check constraint!

[rest of a valid rant deleted.]

> The client side should deal with data/information presentation. That is what
> is is there for. INTERACTION between the database and the user. Not for
> enforcing data integrity. And especially not for enforcing business rules.

Agreed.

> Enforcing business rules in client software IS *STUPID*. Period.

I did suggest that since he ALREADY had coded the rule in his front end, that he might leave it there for now. Not the greatest choice, but the code already exists. He can add rules enforcement to the DB later and eventually remove this check in the front end.

> I sometimes wonder if there are only a few of us here that actually work in
> the friggen REAL WORLD.
>
> Or else you guys must be smoking something. If so.. please pass some along
> my way.
>
> --
> Billy

Chill out.