Re: Check constraint violated

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:08:46 GMT

Me wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:33:48 +0000, andrewst wrote:
>

>>Originally posted by Me

>>>    into apointee only

>>>Could someone help me with this constraint.
>>
>>ALTER TABLE apointee
>>ADD CONSTRAINT chk_nominee_age CHECK (age < 18);

> No, that would not work. What I mean is this:
> There are two separate relations by name nominee and apointee; a policy holder
> will always have a nominee, if the nominee is a minor only then he will have an
> apointee whose age _will_ have to be greater than 18.
>
> At the same time the proposer's nominee's age must be lesser than 18 (minor)
>
> Thanks.

Well, your requirement doen't sound like a check constraint, but a higher level business rule. You need to enforce it in the application layer. Constraints cannot solve ALL these problems, and you don't want to be changing the DB each time a rule like this changes.

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/