Re: intranet with Oracle9iAS en IFS

From: Michael Kuznetsov <mvk_at_servocomp.ru>
Date: 14 Jun 2003 06:22:03 -0700

suntac <suntac_at_antispam.gov> wrote in message news:<765jevg4r9js0l4djr7b6d4i6ch2t0nmho_at_4ax.com>...
> Are there people that used Oracle9iAS with IFS to build a intranet?
>
> I like to build a intranet using this. We like to have a web interface
> to access a file system that is managed by a couple of people that
> indicate what user and usergroeps can or can not access a file.
>
> I think most of this is standard out of the box solution with IFS. Am
> i correct or not?
>
> Is IFS a good way to build a intranet site or is there a better
> solution?
>
> Regards,
> Johan.
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> dear spammer this mail adres is fake :-)

Hi Johan,

Oracle made other and I think better product to working with documents from browser. It's Oracle Portal 9i that is part of Oracle Application Server.

Oracle Portal do just all that JFS can do plus many more (I really don't understand why Oracle make both products). In Oracle Portal we can without any programming create groups of pages, apply own design, upload any documents with description, extended attributes and history, control publication process, apply security, using Ultraserch for searching. It has API to working with documents.

It's also provide possibility to write you own applications on JSP or PL/SQL (former WebDB). And put on pages external applications.

Plus of portal that it well documented, there are many examples and descriptions on otn. By the way, otn.oracle.com itself depended on Oracle Portal.

Regards,
Michael
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Programming
http://www.brainbench.com Received on Sat Jun 14 2003 - 08:22:03 CDT