Re: Oracle supervision

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:55:11 GMT

Joe Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Oracle 8.1.7 for Windows.
>
> From command line, I have to verify that Oracle is ok and running. With
> cygwin utils (using ps), I can verify that there is a oracle.exe application
> running.
> Is there any tool (from Oracle or other) to do this 'properly', or to obtain
> a more detailed information (initialisation errors, for example)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Sorry if this question is too dumb. I've googled for this and found nothing
> interesting.

I'd think there would be some interest in using the free Oracle-supplied utility called Oracle Enterprise Manager for this.

Especially the one with version Oracle9i Release 2 that can not only monitor version 8.1.7 and up (actually probably down to 7.x, but who's counting), but also detect some problems, automatically invoke limited fixes and send emails & pages. And can also monitor non-Oracle environments.

I find it funny that people don't look at that. It's improved a lot since version 1.x Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 20:55:11 CDT