Re: Validate date from VB to insert into Oracle table

From: Me <me_at_privacy.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:01:41 +0530

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:46:30 GMT, Jim Kennedy wrote:

>Hate "dates" in VB because it is a string and not a real data type. They
>should have a date data type in VB, but that would be too difficult for the
>average VB programmer to understand. (they would get confused about the
>difference between date and the string representation of a date - happens in
>Oracle all the time, with people comparing strings with dates).

Infact I know a few guys who declared the date fields as varchar2 to solve the problem! :)

> As to your other question on
>insert. You need to again add error handling ot your application, trap the
>error and display it and not let it propagate upwards and fail.

Yes. But what command can I use to do this. Any idea? A direct insert of unexpected values always terminates with an Oracle side error. If I can do this I have solved a big problem as I need not validate certain inputs from the user, when they can be easily validated from the nature/constraint of the attribute in Oracle itself.

Thanks. Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 12:31:41 CDT