Re: [Q] Porting SQL to Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:07:06 +0100

"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message news:c0e3f26e.0306120549.223405f1_at_posting.google.com...
> (This is andrewst appearing in a different guise due to problems with
> DBFormums)

<snip argument>

It seems that we agree that NULL='UNKOWN VALUE', but you don't like using '' for NULL in character based columns since you consider the absence of characters between the ' termination characters to be a value in some sense. If we accepted this what would you practically choose to store NULL character values in the RDBMS, and what implications would this have for storage ,manipulation etc.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA