Re: Oracle EXP error

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:28:36 +0000

Adam C wrote:

> I am trying to use the EXP function to dump a copy of my Oracle
> database into a binary file so that I can copy that file onto another
> server and import it.

<snipped>

> First, I can successfully connect to the database using SQL Plus.
> Second, I have tried setting the ORACLE_SID first (to no avail).
<snipped>

> However this is the message that I am getting:
>
> EXP-00056: ORACLE error 12560 encountered
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> EXP-00222:
> System error message 2
> System error message: No such file or directory

Weird. The error basically says that your ORACLE_SID is invalid and that Export can not establish a local IPC connection to the Oracle instance.

But you say it works in SQL*Plus.. what is the exact connection string you use in SQL*Plus? Is it the same as what you are using for Oracle Export?

You failed to mention you operating system platform and version and Oracle version. That's compulsory for most postings. We need to know what you're dealing with version and o/s wise.

Also - the error giving file/dir not found indicates to possibly an incorrectly setup environment, or worse, a partially installed/corrupted Oracle installation.

BTW, it seems that you're thinking this is an Export problem. It's not - the ORA-12560 error indicates a connectivity problem. Which has very little to do with the client software itself. It is simply using the errornous/incorrect/invalid connection string supplied to it.

--
Billy