Re: [Q] Porting SQL to Oracle

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:37:29 GMT

Daniel Zuppinger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have the following SQL Statement wich must run against a table on a
> Oracle DB:
>
> select x,x,z from tableA where x = '';
>
> The field x is defined as char 40 .It looks like the field contains 40

Datatype "CHAR" is a fixed length type. You are probably looking for datatype "VARCHAR2". BTW - Oracle runs SQL natively - you do not need to *PORT* SQL to Oracle. (Or perhaps you are referring to Microsoft's product SQL Server? .)

> blanks. The SQL statement does NOT return these rows as expected. We have
> found that the syntax ' where trim(x) is null' works. But this is not
> acceptable for us, since we need to support several database systems.
>
> Now the question: Can we force oracle to accept the normal sql statement as
> shown above for our application ? Maybe a environment variable or similar ?

Probably not necessary if you use the correct datatype - see above. /Hans Received on Wed Jun 11 2003 - 07:37:29 CDT