Can dbms_output.put_line reflect sql output/feedback information ?

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:22:25 +0100

I missed the first post in this thread, but I get the impression that the OP wants to see progress messages as the procedure executes. This is not possible with DBMS_OUTPUT because it is buffered until such time as the proceduire finishes, then you get to see all the messages in one go. Not helpful.

If the OP is able, he can start one thread to run the procedure and have another thread call DBMS_OUTPUT.GET_LINE, but this is nigh on impossible to do in SQLPlus.

TOAD is able to do it, you run the query within TOAD and can watch progress messages on the DBMS_OUTPUT tab.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator