Re: 500 users, 10,000 roles: Performance problems to be expected?

From: Dr. Holger Peine <peine_at_iese.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:32:32 +0200

andrewst wrote:

> Originally posted by Dr. Holger Peine

>> andrewst wrote:
>>

>> > Originally posted by Holger Peine
>> Oracle
>> Weblogic). So
>> are
>> user
>> few roles
>> few
>> same
>> of
>> > "a few roles per row"??? What is THAT all about?
>>
>> One or two roles per row: One role "Users allowed to write this row"
>> and sometimes a second role "Users allowed to read this row".
>> Does that make sense?
>>

>> > --
>> http://dbforums.com/http://dbforums.com
>>

> That's not how roles work. A role can only have access privileges > granted at the object level (i.e. whole table, view) not at row level.

Thanks for the clear information. I was not aware of this limitation (if my original question did not make it clear, my database knowledge was purely theoretical until lately - I'm a security expert now asked for a DB security design). OK, so my initial idea of using roles for row-level protection will not work (I was already suspicious of that, that's why I asked). Thanks again.

> To control access down to that level you should look at Fine Grained > Access Control (aka Row Level Security aka Virtual Private Database).

Yes, I've read about VPDs (that's how Oracle 8.1.7 calls it, anyway). Seems like this is the way to go here.

Thanks for your advice,
Holger.

--
Dr. Holger Peine
Fraunhofer IESE, Kaiserslautern, Germany