Re: Database Tuning Issue or Redesign ??

From: Tony Rees <antonie.rees_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:57:28 +0100

Hi Mark,

thanks for taking the time to read and try to help me out with this issue. Here is a little more background information to this issue.

We are using Clarify Version 6 here at Stratex to do the job of managing our repair centres globally. I recently developed and put live quite a large extention to this application to capture all of the technicians repair comments and to audit the tests they do whilst repairing all incoming equipment. Once the forms are filled in and saved to the database (No performance issues here) the technicians require to print the forms off. How Clarify achieves this is to pass a number or parameters to an external application (Called Actuate ) using a number of windows API calls.

What I discovered through a little bit of digging through SQL trace files is that ACTUATE currently selects all 600 plus fields from the database (Was a surprise to me !!!) but only displays as many as 80 fields on the largest form.

From this discussion thread it is clear that this may not be an easy scenario to resolve based on the width of the table. So I had a long think about this on the weekend and decided that the best way to resolve this initially was to create a VIEW for each of the 40 or so forms rather than doing a direct select from the table.
Using this view within Actuate to select all of the valid fields rather than using the complete table.I tested this idea out this morning and everything is looking good. The select statement returns the result really quickly and the response issue at the ACTUATE end seems to have no gone away.

I would like to read up a little bit more in this area so that I will not make the same mistakes again in the future. Can you provide me any URL's or pointers so I can better understanding what you were saying in your email concerning multiple segments,chaining multiple I/O's etc.

Thanks once again for your help in this matter

regards

Tony Rees
Stratex Networks

> > Dear Oracle Gurus,
> >
> > I have in the last couple of months been working on a project to trap
all
> > techniciam test data onto an Oracle 817 database. I am using an AMDOCS
> > formerly Clarify application. Here is the problem I am now facing:-
> >
> > When doing a simple select from a table it is taking ages to return the
data
> > back. Here is the statement
> >
> > select /*+rule*/
> > * from table_x_audit_hdr where x_detail_number = 'RMA-61214-1'
> >
> > I have created relevant indexes and analysed both tables and indexes and
by
> > looking at the plan for the above statement it is deffinately using the
> > indexes which have been refreshed. There are only 1200 records in the
above
> > table so this statement should be working really quickly.
> >
> > The Table that I had to create has just over 600 fields in it !!!. My
DBA's