Re: Cross Post DATABASE QUESTION

From: Anthony Mandic <av_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:38:57 +1000

Carl Doan wrote:

>> PupppyWizzard_at_glay.org (Pupppy Wizzard) wrote
>>
>> Hi. We are setting up a new database. We previously used MS Access,
>> but we want something better.
>>
>> What would be a good choice for a company with 300 employees
>
> Depending on what you have to work with and what you are planning to put
> on the database server, I would first look to Sybase or MSSQL. With
> those two, you have ease of administring, scalability ( up to several
> TBs ), and lower cost of ownership. At least with MS SQL, the learning
> curve will be much lower. I have been working with MS SQL for over a
> year, and I would not recommend it for "mission critical" systems yet.
>
> If your organization is look towards terabytes of data, perhaps UDB,
> which is maturing. I have mixed reviews with UDB and it's cold backup
> requirements ( same with Oracle ), but they both have proven track
> records. Oracle can scale very well, but I think starting out with
> Oracle can be counter productive unless you have that experience already
> in-house and you have the cash to throw around.

	What doesn't really surprise me is the falling standards of DBAs.
	This is the first reply to actual point in the right direction.

	Apart from the obvious stupidity of asking such a question
	crossposted across such newsgroups, the requirements weren't
	really mentioned apart from supporting 300 users. The obvious
	choice comes after making some elemental capacity planning.
	Saying 300 users is next to irrelevant. What those 300 users
	do is what is important. How active are they? How much storage
	do they require? Based on the fact that they are using MS Access
	now, I doubt its very much.

-am	© 2003