Re: Oracle Forms VS Java

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 19:50:52 +0200

Daniel Frechette wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I'm currently working on a project to modify an existing system that was
> developed in Oracle Forms 4.5 (Web-enabled) and Java (J2EE, JRun, Oracle
> DB). I now have a new application to develop but I don't know if it should
> be done in Forms or Java. The new application has to be light and
> accessible through a Web browser. I'm trying to assess the pros and cons of
> both approaches but I know very little about Forms. Can anyone tell me what
> are the TRUE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES of Oracle Forms? Does anyone know
> of any studies or architecture comparisons that might be helpful?
>
> Thank you,
> Daniel

Why does it have to be 'light'? Whatever that means... Anyway, here are some considerations (a lot of which have been addressed in previous posts):
- does your/the client company have a large programming staff,

   familiar with Forms?
- do you need a lot of client side validation; field wise and

   cross field wise?
- do you have the need for a rich GUI
If you answered yes to the above: stick with Forms. If you answered no to the first:
- go Java
If you answered no to the first and last: - you could try to get it done using HTML and Javascript,

   but basically lot's of validation with HTML is a no-no;    I'd opt for Java (if only I knew Java...) And last but not least:
- do you really need a light app, capable of running on PDA's,

   mobile phones: HTML

Please remember that Java apps can put out HTML - a point often overlooked in a decision process.

Hth - there are probably more considerations - oracle has a nice pdf on metalink

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel