Re: Difference between dispatchers connections and sessions

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:25:45 GMT

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:08:37 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 03:12:58 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>I have this dispatcher parameter that I like to set up.
>>What is the difference between dispatcher connections and sessions?
>>Are the sessions referring to user sessions? Are the connections
>>actual connections to the instance? I need some clarifications.
>>
>>dispatchers="(protocol=tcp)(dispatchers=2)(pool=on)(connections=100)(sessions=200)"
>>

>>Thanks
>>

>Again and again and again and again you are asking the obvious.
>YES connections ARE the actual connection, as it DOES read in the
>manual.
>NO session aren't user sessions. The ESSENCE of SHARED SERVER is that
>a SINGLE user session CAN and will be handled by MULTIPLE shared
>servers on the database server. That's why it is also UNSUITED for
>long running queries.

But then if I included the dispatchers and shared_servers parameters in my init file and then restart my instance and then run

show parameter dispatchers

and

show parameter shared_servers

it showed that both of these parameters were not even set. Why is that? How do I set them properly? did I miss something?

Thanks     Received on Fri Jun 06 2003 - 02:25:45 CDT