Re: Difference between dispatchers connections and sessions

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:08:37 +0200

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 03:12:58 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote:

>I have this dispatcher parameter that I like to set up.
>What is the difference between dispatcher connections and sessions?
>Are the sessions referring to user sessions? Are the connections
>actual connections to the instance? I need some clarifications.
>
>dispatchers="(protocol=tcp)(dispatchers=2)(pool=on)(connections=100)(sessions=200)"
>

>Thanks

Again and again and again and again you are asking the obvious. YES connections ARE the actual connection, as it DOES read in the manual.
NO session aren't user sessions. The ESSENCE of SHARED SERVER is that a SINGLE user session CAN and will be handled by MULTIPLE shared servers on the database server. That's why it is also UNSUITED for long running queries.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 23:08:37 CDT