500 users, 10,000 roles: Performance problems to be expected?

From: Holger Peine <peine_at_iese.fraunhofer.de>
Date: 4 Jun 2003 02:54:48 -0700

Hello,

I'm designing the user/role/privilege security for an existing Oracle 8i database accessed through an application server (Bea Weblogic). So far, the AS uses one DB user for all accesses, i.e. end users are managed in the AS only, not in the DB.

I plan to change that and make a dedicated account for each end user (about 500) plus maybe 10,000 roles (one role per user and a few roles per row in the central data table, which is expected to hold a few thousand rows). Of the 500 users, maybe 20 are connected at the same time (on the average). Is this sensible from point of view of performance? Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 04:54:48 CDT