Re: Oracle Collaboration Suite: Do I have to buy 9i and 9iAS seperately?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 02:12:21 GMT

Raqueeb Hassan wrote:

> Thanks very much for the reply.
>
> I talked to Oracle local representative, they said, its included for
> exclusive use of OCS.
>
> Now, how are you finding this OCS in your company? I'm trying to host
> OCS on two linux box for 500+ users. Is that feasible?
>
> raqueeb hassan
> bangladesh

I'm satisfied with the capability and thru-put - not unexpected for an org much, much smaller than yours (under 10). My situation is not right to use as a load & capability comparison - I have totally oversized the machines since they are also used for other functions and for demos. (I use 2 Linux machines, AMD 2500+ w/ 1GB RAM & lots of disk).

Personal recommendation is >>at least<< 3 machines .... 1 for infrastructure DB, 1 for application server, 1 for mail/files store DB. This way you can add additional app server machines if you need more front end load handling and you can add RAC for the mail/files store if you need more high availability. I also like keeping these functions separated from an administrative and tuning perspective.

The direct answer to your question depends on the features of OCS you intend to use, how much traffic you expect and your retention period. Oracle does have some sizing guidelines.

Remember your full OCS license includes eMail, voice-Mail, fax-Mail, calendar, chat, search, files, online meeting, etc. etc. etc. and each capability has different performance/load/tuning characteristics. So you'll probably benefit from some time up front tuning and balancing. Received on Tue Jun 03 2003 - 21:12:21 CDT