Re: Oracle Install Question

From: Norman Dunbar <Oracle_at_MSSQLBountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 07:40:36 +0100

Tony wrote:

> I currently use The Oracle Client (8.017 version I think) to connect
> to work Oracle Databases from home via VPN and LDAP.
>
> I currently do very little with Oracle, just some simple sql stuff.. .
>
> I'm looking to install 9i on my XP Pro home machine to mess with and
> learn more pl/sql on my own.
>
> Can I do this without screwing up my existing connectivity to work
> Databases?
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> Tony!

Morning Tony,

if you have 817 client installed at home, then it will be in its own OracleHome I think it defaults to OraHome81. You can install 9i (preferrably release 2) and give it another OracleHome (OraHome92) so the two remain separate.

Then under the start | programs | oracle installation Products menu, you have a utility to change the Oracle Home to the one you want or need.

Now, the 9i client should be able to talk to all versions of Oracle from 8.0 upwards, it does not communicate with Oracle 7 and below. If you have no O7 databases then you could simply scrap the current 8i client and go for the full install of 9i.

If you do decide to keep both, then either set up a TNS_ADMIN registry variable for both HOM0 and HOME1 under HKLM/software/oracle so that you only need to keen one TNSNAMES.ORA file up to date - otherwise, you'll need to edit both the 8i and 9i version when any changes are made.

HTH. Regards,
Norman.

--
Remove a certain other database to reply :o)