Re: Create schema command

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 10:56:56 -0700

Me wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:03:02 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:54:07 +0530, Me <me_at_privacy.net> wrote:
> >

> >>So does this mean that I cannot create multiple schema's under the
> >>same user name scott?
> >

> >Exactly. A schema equates an user.
>
> Now Scott is the name of a person. If I have 50 tables under scott and
> I want to group them as company, showroom, railway , etc. how would I
> do it? Do I have to create users showroom, railway, etc.?
>
> I believe in SQL 2 it is possible to run:
> create schema company authorization scott
>
> in that case why was this option take away in SQL*Plus?
> In my opinion, it kind of dosen't make sense to have a company name
> equivalent to a user name.
>
> Thanks.

Your belief system is invalid.

All tables created by Scott are owned by Scott. No exceptions.

But good design dictates that application objects never are owned by real people. Create a second schema with your application name, for example showroom or railway. The grant privileges on those objects to Scott and, for convenience, Scott should create synonyms so that the objects do not require a schema reference in statements that refer to them.

That said I would strongly urge you to take a class and learn Oracle. I'm not sure what the source of your belief system is ... but it certainly isn't the Oracle concepts and architecture documents available at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu