Re: Oracle Forms VS Java

From: Daniel Frechette <daniel_at_multipro.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 03:31:41 GMT

mvk_at_servocomp.ru (Michael Kuznetsov) wrote in news:1543a3e7.0305300637.67d9c44a_at_posting.google.com:

> Daniel Frechette <daniel_at_multipro.ca> wrote in message

>> Good day,
>>
>> I'm currently working on a project to modify an existing system that
>> was developed in Oracle Forms 4.5 (Web-enabled) and Java (J2EE,
JRun,
>> Oracle DB). I now have a new application to develop but I don't know
>> if it should be done in Forms or Java. The new application has to be
>> light and accessible through a Web browser. I'm trying to assess the
>> pros and cons of both approaches but I know very little about Forms.
>> Can anyone tell me what are the TRUE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES of
>> Oracle Forms? Does anyone know of any studies or architecture
>> comparisons that might be helpful?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Daniel

> Hi Denial,
>
> Java gives you two possibilities to create user interface:
> 1. HTML interface generated by JSP
> 2. Windows Swing that can be run as applet in browser.
> 3. Windows Swing that can be run as installed application
>
> Oracle Forms gives one possibilities for web:
> 1. Applet in browser window (size is big).
>
> So if you need HTML interface you can't use Forms.
>
> If you decide that applets is OK for your system you should decide
> what approach is better.
>
> Forms is more high-level tools then Java. But it is very specific.
> It's depended on PL/SQL and set of interface triggers. User interface
> on forms usually is poor. You don't need think about network
> communication and database. But you also don't have control for it.
> Interaction with operating system is also poor.
>
> On the contrary Java depended on well-known standards and give you
> full control on program. It is allow you write perfect GUI. But it is
> more low level and time to start with Java is higher.
>
> I think Java is better and flexible solution for most application.
And
> Oracle supports Forms mainly for old systems.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
> Brainbench MVP for Oracle Programming
> http://www.brainbench.com

Thank you very much, Hans and Micheal, for your answers.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee my client upgrading to a higher version of Forms in the near future.

Hans, what do you mean by "... Oracle decided to drop client-server and drop forcing compatibility with client-server style interaction"? A Web-based architecture is and will always be client-server.

My client has many applications written in Forms 4.5 and very few written in Java/J2EE. I was originally hired to develop a Java/J2EE solution but some Forms developers started to challenge that decision and I'm now forced to justify it. Can you give me more input on Forms 4.5.

Thank you,
Daniel
Montreal, Canada Received on Fri May 30 2003 - 22:31:41 CDT