Re: So difficult, so painfull

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 May 2003 14:23:45 -0700

"Tariq" <taariqq_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<b90mce027v6_at_enews2.newsguy.com>...
> LOL
>
> Most of the time you hear people arguing about this technology being better,
> or that being more prevalent, but it is hard to go through all the
> information out there, and decide on what to pursue. Your frank advice is
> much appreciated ... in both rooms ...
>
> I come from a background in Biology, and am trying to get a door into this
> database field. I know bioinformatics is a good combination of Biology and
> Databases, but that requires a higher degree in atleast one of the two
> fields, and I only have a Bachelors in Biology. That is why I am exploring
> the possibility of simply switching the field completely, if I have to ...
> and it seems like a good idea to learn to program databases first ... then
> worry about the administration aspects of it.

I also came from a bio background, and 23 years ago went through some lame-o (well, it wasn't that bad compared to the others) technical program to get a programming job. I still haven't been able to crack bioinformatics yet (I've come close because of my strong db background, but no cigar, there's a lot of more-closely-qualified competition in the San Diego area).

I think the modern equivalent foot-in-the-door toward DBA work would be as Daniel says, toward general business programming work maybe VB or the various report front-ends. Wish I knew a secret for bioinformatics.

> Much appreciated,
> Tariq
>
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Tariq wrote:
> >
> > > So I guess one has to get a job as PL/SQL developer first, before trying
> for
> > > a DBA position? Or before one is qualified as for a DBA position?
> > >
> > > Tariq
> > >
> > > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> developer
> >
> > Look at it this way. You can't become a judge without first becoming a
> > lawyer.You can't become a surgeon without first becoming a physician. And
> you
> > can't become President without first selling your soul to the highest
> bidders.
> >
> > We're sort of like that only we don't have to wear a tie to work.
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Wrong results possible from correlated EXISTS subquery.