Re: commit or not commit inside a cursor loop

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:52:56 GMT

danielroy10_at_hotmail.com said...
> Andy,
> this is a very good procedure to avoid the risk of this ORA-1555. I
> once saw Tom Kyte give an example on how to do this, but I can't find
> it again. I think this note from metalink is very useful in
> understanding what really happens when we get an ORA-1555 error, and
> ways to avoid it:

<huge snip>

> Amen
>
> Daniel

One thing to notice, Daniel's quote is from Metalink Note 40689.1, created 03-Jan-1997, last revision 20-Sep-1999, and applies to Oracle7. However, that being said, it is still mostly correct in later versions, since the same basic info appears in Note 1005107.6, revised 10-May-2002 (where a trade-off is mentioned in Case #3 for more frequent commits and a caveat at the end which says you tend to get the 1555s because Oracle "extended" the ANSI standard).

So it all boils down to that old cliche: "It all depends."

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA