Re: commit or not commit inside a cursor loop

From: Greg Forestieri <gforestieri9_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 May 2003 13:08:56 -0700

> > this just absolute crap and hogwash. Rollback segments can and will be
> > extended automatically if set up appropiately.
> > A transaction is a transaction. Data maintained for read-consistency
> > purposes in a transaction will NEVER been overwritten.
> > Please don't post such rubbish and nonsense

While I wouldn't use this language, I can attest from a project I once did that was plagued by "snapshot too old" errors due to massive data transformations that committing in a loop is at best a waste of time, and at worst ^&*(.

The general structure of your program needs to change to accomodate the system resources available, or the system resources need to be increased / administered in a "better" fashion. I've found that the whole notion of updating tables underlying a cursor "select" needs to be approached carefully so as to avoid unintended consequences, especially when large (millions of rows) quantities of data are involved.

Good luck
Greg Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 15:08:56 CDT