Re: New Secure Application Role features in 9i

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:29:52 GMT

About the only thing you are missing is that verifing by IP is only *one* way of testing for an authenticated user. And as you've shown, it's not a very good way. IP numbers can be spoofed, so this doesn't make a very secure way of authenticating the application role.

In this method, you provide a function to perform the verification. What you code in the PL/SQL function is up to you. You do not have to just look at the IP number as the example provides. How about looking for a specific context setting that your application sets before trying to authenticate the role? Have this context setting come from a cookie, or a userid/password combination that the user types in, etc. You are only limited by your imagination here.

HTH,
Brian

Jeff Rimland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't understand the benefits of the new Secure Application Role features
> in Oracle 9i.
>
> The Oracle 9i Application Developer's Guide recommends AGAINST using a
> password compiled into the application itself (as commonly done in earlier
> Oracle versions & MS SQLServer.)
>
> Instead, they recommend using a Secure Application Role with Proxy
> Authentication and a verified IP address. To me, this seems less secure
> than the old way!
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this approach has a huge hole in
> it. My application uses a middle tier DLL to access Oracle, so a malicious
> programmer would only have to create a DLL and run it from the same server
> as my DLL to defeat the security methods. Since they're both DLLs, the
> "Program" in v$session would always be "dllhost.exe" and since they're
> running from the same server, the IP Address test would pass.
>
> Am I missing something? Is there a way to restrict access to a DLL with a
> certain ProgID?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Jeff

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

Remove the "remove_spam" from the email address to email me.

 the three"