Re: commit or not commit inside a cursor loop

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:44:49 +0200

On Thu, 29 May 2003 09:04:39 +0100, "Andy" <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk> wrote:

>It's not all hogwash. A rollback segment created by a transaction (A) that
>has !!committed!! is marked as available to be reused. If this rollback
>segment is being used by another transaction (B) in order to create a read
>consistent view of some data there is a very real possibility of transaction
>B suffering a snapshot too old error. To get into this situation,
>transaction B cannot have locked the rows before transaction A started and
>must have therefore started after A and in order to need the read consistent
>view using A's rollback segment(s) must have started before A has finished.
>Therefore the poster was correct re ora-1555 errors. What you might be
>thinking of is the read consistent view that relies on rollback segments
>belonging to the transaction requiring the read consistency. Until this
>transaction commits it's rollback segments (that it and other transactions
>may be using for read consistency) cannot be overwritten. Only on commit is
>the segment(s) marked as available for reuse.

You obviously didn't read the hogwash. He *RECOMMENDED* committing *IN THE LOOP* to *AVOID ORA-1555*.
now that is ABSOLUTELY PLAIN CRAP.
You, not reading the hogwash, describe why his hogwasg CAN"T WORK

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 08:44:49 CDT