Re: Re-Installing Oracle 9.2 on Solaris

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:02:26 -0700

Richard Abrahams wrote:

> Dear Oracle Installers,
>
> I have a rather odd problem! I installed Oracle but screwed up a thing
> or two and decided to start afresh. I did the following,
>
> 1) Removed the whole of the ...\9.2 directory structure
> 2) Removed all relevant \tmp files/directories
> 3) Relocated the Oracle home directory (removed the original home
> directory)
>
> Now when I try to install I get an error message (before the Installer
> screen even appears) that I don't have permissions to write the
> inventory to "/u1/ora9home" - which was the original home directory,
> where the inventory was originally written and which now no longer
> exists.
>
> Why aren't I being prompted for a new location for the Inventory? I
> assume that Oracle must have stored a vriable for this location
> somewhere on the system but I can't find it!
>
> Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard Abrahams

You assume incorrectly. But more importantly my guess is that you did the removal as root and that you need to go back to the directories as root and if you

ls -larn

the reason for the problem will become glaringly apparent.

Be sure all directory and file permissions are set correctly and that you are careful what you do as root and what you do as Oracle.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu